Friday, May 15, 2009

My Backyard view in May


Between rains we've put in two sets of sliding Anderson patio doors.
The old ones leaked air, didn't lock, no kidding, and when we bought this place only had the screen door type locks on them! Anxiety producing for sure.
Finally the doors are in this week between rains, threats of rains, and other complications that go with renovations.
The trim of course isn't finished. We'll also change a few things while we are replacing the trim.
I have been trying to spend time on the neglected outdoor spaces, like flower beds, my lavender plantings, the numerous hills with plants.
As well we are finishing the landscaping around the new porch on the back, including doing some slate work.
We put in a stairwell into the basement room where the wood stove is.
After that was done, we capped the block walls with slate.
Now we have an entire cement area/porch off of one of the back entrances we are going to slate, as well, but wanted to practice first with the smaller area.
Today while I am sitting here typing this I look out the window and see a baby possum creeping along in one of the flower beds.. Yikes.
We also have a 5 ft black snake somewhere here, several groundhogs lurking as well, and a raccoon we see occasionally in the early morning.
This is clearly too much country wild life for me.
My bluebirds and hummingbirds are enough for me.
These other varmints that are lurking around are not my cup of tea.
And yes we are in the city limits. The picture above is off of my back porch and looks into the county, so our property does border a huge farm.
I am glad it's a foggy humid day already, and I'll hope for rain so I don't have to go outside and try to weed around the above mentioned animals which I despise.
Clearly I am changing my plans for today after seeing that ugly little baby animal.

12 Comments:

At May 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM , Blogger judy in ky said...

The work you are doing sounds amazing. I love your view! I wouldn't mind any of the varmints, except the snake.

 
At May 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your image is beautiful. You are surely doing a lot of upscale work.
Puts my humble woods cottage to shame.

 
At May 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM , Blogger southerndrawl said...

Oh, I am so with you on the varmints! Possums scare me and snakes are out of the question! The other day I was gardening and saw a worm and got all freaked out, for Pete's sake! I'm definitely a city girl at heart. It does sound like you all have done some incredible work though. That's got to feel really good.

Thanks for your comment on my blog! :-)

 
At May 16, 2009 at 12:50 AM , Blogger anya said...

That green belt behind your house is wonderful, Mim. Possums are the ugliest critters. Even the babies aren't cute!

I tell ya, your posts make me feel like an under achiever. I simply can not believe the projects you and your husband tackle.

Thanks for checking up on me....

 
At May 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Muhd Imran said...

I thought the front view from your home looked fantastic. Now I get to see your backyard... it is totally awesome!

It is like you're on vacation. Fantastic 360 view! Only in my dreams I could live in house like yours. You both are blessed.

I lived in a village before, so I saw and cared-for several wild baby and hurt animals before.

The critters may irk Wifey, but I'd love to observe them as I don't see many types anymore once the island has developed and encroached most parts of nature.

I guess its the "side effects" of living in a beautiful setting.

Have a good weekend!

 
At May 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Debbie in CA : ) said...

Pretty view!

House maintenance/remodel isn't my favorite topic -- but I always enjoy the results. : D

Critters in the garden have become my "distant" friends (I prefer they keep their distance and I pledge to do the same). I sing and recite poetry and make a general racket that seems to keep them away. Lately only the lizard scurrying in the bushes unnerves me. (Thankfully no rattlers seen yet in nine years . . . or ever, I HOPE!)

 
At May 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim - your images are awesome.
They look like "paintings". What kind of camera are you using.
I am a beginner and I would like my images to be the quality of yours.

 
At May 17, 2009 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Susan said...

I'm confused ... do you mean that you're afraid of a baby possum ?! ? I guess I didn't quite understand this post against nature. And what does ugly look like I'm wondering ? Maybe a place smack in the city would be preferable.

 
At May 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Sounds like all your plans for fixing and re-doing are all coming together.

As always your view takes my breath away...the violets are still my fav...but this one was close.

I so wish I could visit!

Lots of love to you
Jess

 
At May 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Girl, I have a black snake that sunbathes in our topiaried bush outside the kitchen. My dog nearly walked up to it on the doorstep one day, and I screamed bloody murder. My poor dog jumped I startled her so badly, and some roofers on a house around the corner startled to the point that they nearly fell off the roof. Fortunatley, all was well, and the snake shot off like a bullet!

XO,

Sheila :-)

 
At June 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Jess said...

The view is still breath-taking! Even Jason loved it!

Hope all is well with you!

Love, Jess

 
At June 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Sam said...

Oh my gosh, that's your view?? I'm in love! I so wish we could move to the country so I could have a view like that. My husband isn't into the idea, unfortunately. He's a city person--we live in the suburbs now which is a compromise.

Sounds like you're doing a lot of really great work!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home