Random Things
So our family cat, who is 17 is back. Our son took him two years ago, when we had to find pet sitters when we were living in Tokyo.But several of his roomates are anxious to be rid of a cat in the house. A cat who wants to be held or snuggle most of the time.
But Bailey and Psycho(I promise that's his name and we didn't name him) get along and Psycho seems to think Bailey is his baby. It's quite humorous at times.
So they keep each other warm and most of the time, unless Bailey gets into Psycho's food, they are great pals.
Speaking of keeping warm, we are really burning the wood, as the little snow, with ice later, have kept it too cold here.
But the evenings are lighter longer and at 6 p.m. I think, wow it won't be long til Spring.
So I am filled with optimism for that as I enjoy spring so much.
But we have a few more weeks(months?) of winter, but for those few glimpses of light, I realize how much longer the daylight is, in contrast to those dark gloomy evenings in November and December.
I spent two days loading all of my Cd's into my computer, and then into my Ipod.
How tedious, but such satisfaction now that it is done.
I plan to place all my Cd's away in a closet, and access our music through the Ipod/Bose system we have. We've been wanting to do this forever and know that it is complete is feels wonderful.
We have also made the momentous decision to rid ourselves of our stereo system complete with turntable, cassette player and cd player. It includes 4 huge speakers. We have our Bose now and the sound is incredible.
This also included all of our many LP albums from the 70's and 80's. Which we haven't played in how many years?
It feels so nostalgic when we look at all the albums, but really, once the turntable stopped working, it is a huge system that takes up so much space.
What have the rest of you done with your albums/stereos as you've replaced them with Cd's?
Another project, having found a fairly inexpensive digital film and slide converter, transferring our hundreds of pictures to digital.
This will take much longer and more tedious than the cd project, but it's something we've been wanting to do forever.
We have boxes of slides and negatives.
So those have been some of our many homekeeping tasks.
More to come.

13 Comments:
Random things of a productive nature (like sorting music) leaves one with a refreshing sense of accomplishment, don't they? We have a music library sorted by genre. I would be worn to a frazzle if I tried to put it all on any computer or iPod. My system works just fine around here.
p.s.
Can the cat have a nicer "nickname"? He seems too sweet to be labeled so undecorously. : D
Mim, congrats on that CD project! It's tedious but so worth it. You have the same ipod-Bose setup we do and we also have put everything else away--what a way to reduce clutter! I've written a few posts worrying about what to do with all my old LPs--some of them we just hate to get rid of, and I've vowed, someday, to digitize them and add them to the ipod. Haven't gotten around to it yet! (Don't ever say you're going to throw the LPs away or you'll stir up a hornet's nest!)
Precious cat...and glad you guys are okay.
Psycho...wow a great name! lol
Mim, I adore that cat, and look how sweetly they are sleeping together. That just warms the heart. So glad Bailey likes kitties.
I envy you your organized CD stash, and I wish I could kick the organizational side of my brain into high gear. Not going to happen till after March 21st when my BFF's daughter gets married. Then I will be able to sleep and think both. LOL!
Stay warm and well...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Mim,
As Ralph already mentioned, ridding one of LP's will stir up a hornet's nest!
Yet, unless one is in a permanent location or have plans on passing LP's on to family members, they, do at some point become burdensome to move and store. And for how many years now(?) have we all purchased CD's and now MP3's as well as the technology and gizmos to play our music.
However, there is one very strong point in keeping them. The very history they carry - not only in the music - but the artwork of the time - the fashion of the times as well as the writing of the time. They are wonderful chronicles and I miss them more than I can say.
Anyways, congrats on the completion of the project and very happy that you are enjoying the fruits of your work!
HI Linda
I will respond to you here as I don't see a link.
You've written before and nice to meet you.
Yes I have talked my husband into keeping them.
I'm the pack rat..he's the 'thrower away person' in this family.
And some of the albums I was hoping to find on itunes just don't exist so I just can't rid myself of them.
Ralph did send me directions for transferring some albums to mp3 and my husband will tackle that for me( I hope).
Thanks for your input.
I just hope I don't come home someday to all of the albums gone and given to the local thrift.
Mim
I'm so glad Bailey lived to be able to enjoy this particular cat friend. Wonderful story.
The light is just amazing now isn't it.
Ah, albums. My cellar is full of them. My son took a few, and has the covers displayed on his apt. walls. They look great. He has said we simply cannot get rid of them. I haven't 'replaced' them with cds. Tom got me this thing for Christmas last year that transfers albums to the computer and I've now got a few in my iTunes, but it really took a long time. I try not to think about them. They are my past, and Tom and my pasts, and yet, I don't ever play them. And frankly, as much as the young audio folks love records, I say good riddance to all that skipping and all those scratches. But what to do?? I just don't know.
I love the photo of Bailey and Psycho. It's nice that they are friends.
I've been catching up with your posts now that I"m home and what I'm noticing is a much improved and upbeat attitude shining through even though it sounds as if the major problems are still in place. I admire you so much for that Mim. You've found a way to not let your losses eat you alive.
Of course playing with music is always uplifting. I'm doing the same as you. Downloading the cd's to the computer, putting them into the ipod and also backing up the computer to the extra hard drive. After that I give the cd's away. I've still got some friends that aren't in the ipod/computer music world yet.
I gave all our old albums which were rock from the 70's to my son. Some of those album covers are collectible and he loves the album cover art. He bought some album cover frames from Restoration Hardware or somewhere and made a really cool grouping in his office.
Since my divorce I seem to be living my life to a sound track of my design. I couldn't live without my music, and speaking of the treadmill....the ipod has turned that activity into a fun time. I have a workout playlist and it's pretty hot. Though I'm walking, I pretend I'm dancing.
Mim, here is the amazon link to what we have:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=ion&x=0&y=0
Tom says it definitely works but is labor intensive.
Hi Mim,
I'm just visiting again to have another look at your photo. Bailey has the sweetest little face.
Happy Valentine's Day, Mim!
Hope you have a day filled with all the love your heart can hold...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Hope all is well... just checking in with you..
Love, Jess
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home