Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas will be here very soon



Christmas in Hong Kong several years ago. Please forgive me that I have no current picture as my camera is not working.





Somehow in all the mayhem and disorientation of how our life is taking shape, the week just flies by and I forget to post.
I do read blogs and try to comment, but in the daily minutia of life, I somehow go through the motions of homekeeping and lifekeeping. I look at the date and I can't believe how time is passing by.
But finally this weekend, prompted by our son wanting his ornaments I've kept for him the last 25 years, and wanting to borrow Christmas lights, I did go into the attic.
I retrieved the boxes and tried to sort through things. And slowly, much slower than I usually work, the simple decorations I've settled on have come together.
The tree is up, lights on it and decorated.
The candles are placed around the house, and a wreath is on the front door.
I made out my menus, and grocery lists for shopping.
I made out my to do lists for each day now through the 26th.
I also did some Christmas shopping, although it is very scaled back this year.
And what I purchased, I wrapped today.
I did not turn on the TV once, as the news and financial channels are getting to me and instead listened to NPR and a classical station.
So with the scents of the season burning, and the music playing, I started to realize that no matter if my heart isn't feeling this, I will plough through.

We have numerous family dinners, extended family Christmas events, as well as several other groups coming here for dinner.
So now that I have made my lists, I am feeling less frazzled.
Still hard to focus, and hard to feel jubilant, however, the show will go on, won't it.
like it or not.

We are putting off serious job hunting til after the first of Jan., as a few feeble attempts have turned up nothing, and that is due of course to the economic climate and Christmas and New Years events.

9 Comments:

At December 12, 2008 at 7:22 AM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Continuos thoughts go your way. My to do list is so small. Just a time that I have decorated very little. Family only here a couple of days. I will have a Christmas Eve breakfast instead of family for Christmas. My little girls want to stay home on Christmas Day.
Take care of yourself. Health and Blessings sent your way.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Muhd Imran said...

You are inspirational.

Yes, we should enjoy what is here and now, count our blessings and be happy with little things... these are the ones that keep us going.

Before we know it, it accumulates to a bigger and joyous outcome.

For someone who does not feel Christmas-y, you really have done so much to celebrate the occasion. Impressive, dear friend.

Enjoy the weekend with your loved ones.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Glad you checked in, Mim, and you guys are still kicking. Our Christmas, too, is very scaled back this year. Lights in the windows and that's it. Not even a tree. With so much on our plate, major decorations just didn't feel like they fit.

I hope all the activity and company turn your mind to other, more pleasant things for a while.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 12:09 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Mim!

So glad you got decorated, and you're ahead of me! I am starting to see daylight, but it has been a battle to get things done with confusion in the wake. Annie has been "helping" me. Need I say more. :-)

I'm glad that you are gearing up for the holidays and that you will put off the job hunt till January. And ohhhhhh, how I agree about the media! Mim, I have thought long and hard that one of the main reasons we are in a mess is because the media are feeding people's worst fears. Fear begets fear. I literally HATE to turn on the TV. So I'm determined to make this the best Christmas I can and celebrate in the wake of what they would have us fear by not buying in and not listening to it.

When we were in the depths of the Great Depression, Roosevelt did the Fireside Chats to encourage people. My grandfather adored him and his voice. He said it gave everyone hope.

Roosevelt was advised that his voice was far too patrician for the average American to identify with and that he should get a subsitute to read his chats to the nation. Roosevelt staunchly refused, stating that they had elected him and knew who he was! And Roosevelt was right. According to scholars, people heard this very melodic, patrician voice and felt confidence in it.

I wonder what would happen if we all boycotted the media? Just turned off our television sets when the news came on? It's like they totally ignore all the good things in the world and are focussed on the worst. Well, not for me! I choose life! :-)

Love to you...

XO,

Sheila

 
At December 12, 2008 at 12:15 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, I forgot my point with Roosevelt... my masters is in communications with an emphasis in rhetoric/persuasion, and as a consequence, I critique all speakers, including the minister on Sunday. ;-)

I think that when President Elect Obama goes into office that he should do some sort of chats to the nation to encourage us. He has got an absolutely wonderful voice, very soothing and assuring. He would do well to follow Roosevelt's example. So much of life is what we "think" about life, our attitude about it. So I think he could go far by setting the tone early on in his term.

XO,

Sheila

 
At December 12, 2008 at 12:17 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Make that "reassuring" as I'm rushing to catch the yard man! :-)

 
At December 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM , Blogger judy in ky said...

Hi Mim, it's good to see you back here. I hope you and your family are blessed with good health and companionship through the holidays. How is Bailey? Still well, I hope. We are scaling back this year, too. We don't have any parties planned, just family getting together. Take care.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Kat said...

Mim,
You have made an event, a lovely wonderful event with lights and a tree, good food and family, lots of family coming together to share love, to share food and to wish each other a Merry Christmas. You have found the season!

 
At December 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Hi Mim...hope that the Christmas spirit has found you by now! Hope that you and your hubby ar hving good job luck,and that Bailey is still doing fine!

Lots of love to you dear friend, and have a Very Merry Christmas... and evn if you aren't in the gifting mood.... just remember to say Happy Birthday to Jesus on Thursday.

Love you,
Jess

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home