Surgery
Yesterday morning when I was transporting very sick Bailey back to his regular vet's office from overnight emergency vet, I made the decision to ask for x rays.
In the three days and thousands of dollars of testing and iv's and emergency care, not one of 5 vets suggested an x ray.
So at 8 a.m. yesterday I walked into the vet's office with Bailey wrapped in a blanket, having not eaten since Sunday, and on continuous iv's and said please do an x ray.
An hour later the vet called and said there was a shadow in one area of the intestine.
Doing exploratory surgery they found a piece of corncob, which was removed and surgery completed.
We live in a suburb, no cornfields anywhere near us. We have not eaten corn on the cob. I walk him on the street so he can't get into anything. He is a scavenger but this is beyond me, where he found a piece of corncob!
Bailey spent the day on iv's at the vet. At 5 p.m I transported Bailey south 20 minutes back to the overnight emergency care.
He survived the night; I just dropped him back at the vet's where he will spend the day on iv's and monitored.
If he doesn't develop complications post surgery, I may be able to bring him home this eve.
For those of you who are pet lovers, you understand what my week has been like.
For those of you who aren't pet lovers, it is hard to comprehend the level of care and cost for a precious family pet.
I have so appreciated every one's kind comments, emails, care and concern.
It means more than you know.
We have just had an incredible stressful week.
Tomorrow, after working for the same company for 26 years, my husband finds the fate of his employment. Much of this time has been spent traveling overseas to work in incredibly complicated situations.
For 5 years we were expatriates in Singapore and Japan.
Just last year we repatriated back to the US.
My husband just finished a 4 month project in India, which some of you may remember he was injured by a wild dog and had to fly to Singapore for his series of rabies shots.
It has been a very unplanned and unnerving time.
So tomorrow the VP of his division is making a visit to the local offices to have 'the talk.'
And I wait by the phone, hoping for no calls of bad news of Bailey.
The porch rafters are on, the sheeting to go on today and soon the roof.
Carry on......

7 Comments:
Oh my goodness. Hallelujah !! I have heard that corncobs are very dangerous for dogs. That is SUCH wonderful news !!! Get well soon sweet Bailey and such a relief for Mom Mim.
xo, S & les Gang
Mim, my head is spinning. I know so much of what is happening to you guys (although our cats, thank God, haven't goteen into any corn cobs!). Good newsabout Bailey but terribly frustrating, too. Think of the heartache and worry, not to mention the expense, you could have been spared if that elementary step of a x-ray had bheen taken earlier!
Let us know what happes with the job. I'm sending good thoughts.
If Bailey were a person, and you were a litigious type, I think there is lawsuit written all over it. My God, an x-ray, the first, the very first thing they should have done. I am so glad they did it, and that you suggested it. Unbelievable. When we first moved in our old house, it hadn't been lived in during the winters for 25 years, and there were numerous corncobs that fell from the ceilings we took down. They are a big fave of the r-word animal. Do you and your husband hope, in a way, that this job will end? It doesn't sound like it has been too soothing an occupation.
Ok..I feel awful! I haven't been by and didn't know what all was going on with Bailey or your hubby's job.
I'm so sorry about all this... I'm sure you have been so stressed, tired, and just drained emotionally.
We love our pets so much and it's like your own kid is going through all of the testing and poking and prodding.
I do hope that he recovers form surgery quickly and that he gets well soon. I know that you will be giving him the best treatment and taking great care of him.
Also I will be praying hard for you pooch and you hubby's job. It must be terrifying to think that me might not have a job anymore.
I will be praying ...and once again I'm so sorry for not checkign in with you sooner... you know you are on my top blog list!
Lots of love to you Mim... and you know my address if you need to talk.
Praying... Jess
Hoping and praying for Bailey... hope he is able to come home and be healthy and happy. I am a pet lover, so I understand. You are dealing with so much, especially now with the job situation. I hate it when the boss comes in for "the talk".
Wishing you well and appreciate the update.
Mim,
I am amazed that they didn't x-ray first, and I'm so glad you thought of it. I hope all your news continues to be good news.
I have no idea how I found you, but perhaps led by angels to lend a prayer for Bailey. My Sophia has got me through empty nest as a single woman and I adore her. Blessings to you and your sweet Bailey.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home