Monday, December 1, 2008

The stockings are hung...


I've been going through last year's Christmas pictures and found this one of the stockings hung on the mantle.
I thought maybe if I'd look through the pictures it would get me in the mood to actually get out the Christmas decorations and go through them and try to get myself ready for Christmas.
First I knew there was Thanksgiving and I don't do anything Christmas before Thanksgiving.
But try as I might this weekend, I have not been able to think about celebrating, let alone decorating.
I've tried many times in the past week to post something different, or exciting.
At least something on the theme of cooking, or domestic or "Christmasy."

I tried again to load my porch pictures on the computer, and this time my camera tells me the card is locked. Locked... what is this? It has never happened before.
So the porch, which was to have been done two weeks ago, is still not finished.
I've talked to the contractor and explained our situation and said we need this project finished.
We will see if this week he can finish it. I will show before and afters sometime.

For now I'm trying with all my might to get in the Christmas frame of mind, if not in the Christmas spirit.
I notice on a lot of blogs Christmas decorating and shopping and cooking inspiration is in full force.
For now, I am taking each day as I can, albeit not as we'd anticipated this holiday season to be.
Our daughter is coming for 10 days over Christmas, so I know that shortly I will kick myself and get started.

11 Comments:

At December 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM , Blogger judy in ky said...

Don't put pressure on yourself about Christmas. Do what feels right to you. There have been years when I barely did any decorating or fussing at all, and sometimes I enjoy just putting out one or two favorite decorations.
Having your daughter there sounds nice. Maybe you are just waiting for her to bring the "Christmas spirit" with her.
In the meantime, enjoy a fire, a cup of hot chocolate, and give Bailey a hug.

 
At December 1, 2008 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Debbie in CA : ) said...

Let the decorations be just that "decor" and not some overreaching need to cover up or dress up. Simple is SO ELEGANT. One year I was just too tired to "do it all" and so we celebrated "simply" and everyone thought it was the grandest display and vowed to follow my lead -- who would have thought my exhaustion would inspire someone to do less and enjoy more?

Dear friend, I wish I lived closer. I'd come over for a cup of tea and help you unwrap the decorations and savor each story and memory you've packed away in the attic. A crossroads need not be a bother when we know how far we've come and Who's leading us. Have a great day. : D

 
At December 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim I understand. I am not going to decorate much this year.
What I do is for my two little granddaughters. Christmas alone in a home - it is not much fun going all out decorating.
My friend with a nursery on her property brought me some - how do you spell it - poinsetteas. You know what I mean!!!!!
Take care of yourself and I am happy for you that your daughter is coming to spend time with you.

 
At December 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Regarding your media card for your camera: look for a sliding tab on your card and see if it's in the "locked" position. You may not have noticed, but most every type of card has a lock, to keep you from erasing photos accidentally.

It it is locked, slide the tab to the unlocked position and try downloading your photos again.

Hope that helps.

Like you, I'm not really in the decorating mood yet. Maybe I'll get with the program soon, but if not, I probably won't be doing any kind of Christmas decorating, not even putting up a tree.

Regarding your questions about my health, I'm feeling pretty good most days. Still having some issues with side effects from my diabetic meds, but they're manageable right now, and I feel so much better on the meds that I don't want to rock the boat too much by trying new meds.

You're a dear for being interested and concerned about me, Mim. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness, my friend.

Hope you find yourself in cheerier spirits soon.

Much love,

Diane

 
At December 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Blogger anya said...

It's no wonder you don't feel in the Christmas spirit, Mim. I know you are filled with anxiety and stress and Christmas probably seems like the most unimportant thing this year. And maybe this year it isn't important.

I vividly remember a year 25 years or more ago and my former husband and I had started our company. We'd been at it awhile and things just weren't happening. It was early November and we were almost broke. We were so close I could feel it in every nerve in my body. There was a Merle Haggard song that was on the radio often then, "If We Make It Through December" and it was our theme song. We sat on the couch and stared at each other with fearful eyes and cried as we thought about the death of our dream. That year Christmas was not even on our radar. We did have to get a tree and do Santa, and if that was done with any spirit for our son's sake, it was done with fake spirit. But, with the beginning of the new year, our business took off and we were safe. There were lots more Christmases in our lives after that awful one and they were good ones, though we never forgot how it felt to be scared and vulnerable.

My advice is: don't stress out about it. Just go with what you feel like even if that is very little or nothing. The last thing you need is another worry.
hugs.....

 
At December 3, 2008 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Hi Mim, You know I guess I'm with the rest of the gang ... don't push yourself. Do what you feel like doing and don't do what you feel you "should" do. We here in North America go so overboard with Christmas - it really has completely lost it's true meaning.

A few twinkling Christmas lights, lots of good food and the company of loved ones (human or in my case - furry) are all I ever want this time of year.

xo S & les Gang in Nova Scotia

 
At December 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mim,

I'm glad to hear from you. I'm sorry your camera isn't working, and I can offer no help on that as I am all thumbs when it comes to anything technical. If it breathes (barks, meows, chirps, or speaks), I could help. But cameras are not my friend! My husband has set the dials on mine, and I dare not move them... couldn't if I wanted to because I can't even see the teeny tiny buttons. ;-)

I would not worry one bit about the house not being decorated. You need to be kind to yourself, and don't worry about all the mind-boggling details. Put on some Christmas music and bake some toll house chocolate chip cookies. Do whatever makes you feel good. If there's one thing you do that you love at Christmas, be sure to do that one thing, and all the rest will fall into place. Mainly, though, enjoy your husband, daughter, and Bailey. And take care of Mim! :-)

XO,

Sheila

 
At December 5, 2008 at 5:44 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

P.S. In terms of your Christmas preparations, I have analogy of sorts for you. My sister went through a really, really rough time about twenty years ago, and a close friend and counselor told her that she had to get up out of bed every morning, put on her makeup, fix her hairs, and get dressed, even though she didn't feel like it. My sister said it helped her more than anything to do that. Maybe that's the solution here for your Christmas preparations. You can dress your house for Christmas, a little every day as you feel like it. And this year, think of it as the understated look. There's a lot of beauty in keeping things simple.

 
At December 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM , Blogger Muhd Imran said...

It is tough to be joyful when things are not working out so well, but thankful we must despite the tough situation.

What a blessing to have your daughter spending time with the family together on Christmas. It's going to be a beautiful time regardless.

Yes, take each day as it comes... have a good weekend.

 
At December 8, 2008 at 3:26 AM , Blogger cotedetexas said...

I enlarged the picture to see it better! your decorations look so pretty. you ought to copy it again this year! that would be easier than thinking up something new!

have a great week!
Joni

 
At December 8, 2008 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Lots of love to you... I know how it feels.... we are still in a rut too...

Hope all is well with you and your family (including Bailey)...

Love,
Jess

PS Have a great week...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home