Sunday, April 26, 2009

Putting on a show



On of my cherry trees is putting on quite a show this week. It was cool all week and then yesterday 92 and today 90's again. So the blooms popped and it's a sight to behold.
Not blogging for awhile is kind of like falling off the exercise or walking wagon.
Once you stop doing it in your morning or evening routine, both can fall by the wayside.
So if I'd list all the renovations or repairs we've done this week, maybe then you'd see why as the days come and go, I seem to find energy at the end of the day, only to read what you all have written, watch TV or catch up on my reading.
So now that it's really really warm and I went earlier in the week to get some shrubs and perennials to finish landscaping the porch we put on the back of the house, I have to go outside twice a day and water those same plants or they will shrivel to nothingness.
The month started with finishing up pouring back steps under the porch, which leads directly into the basement into the room where we have a wood burning fireplace insert.
We've continued with plastering the block walls, starting to put slate on top of the block walls, putting in a small water garden, planting lots of lavender and putting in Japanese water feature.
We then prepped, scraped, primed and got the front porch ready for painting.
It has two coats but needs one more.
I also stained and put a finish on my wicker chairs that sit on the front porch, since the chairs get some rain and sun damage in the hot summer days.
Our biggest project by far was redoing the master bathroom(or closet)! I say closet only because it is so tiny.
It has a shower stall lined with ceramic tiles and the bathroom walls ceramic tiles 3/4 of way up the walls.
However 5 different shades of 60's avocado green colored tiles with yellow trim, soap dishes,towel racks, etc, caused us to look into tile resurfacing.
We did find someone who does that, although pricey, we went ahead with resurfacing all tiles into a bright white, the only color the company we used, does.
Once that was done, we tile the floor in hexagonal white tiles...First this meant stripping off the old vinyl flooring,then putting down backer board.
Then setting the tiles, waiting for 24 hours and then grouting.
This meant taking out the vanity, sink, toilet, well everything.
It was time consuming, the resurfacing was messy, and toxic smell overwhelming.
However it's done, and we feel we are in a very nice high end hotel bathroom.It is lovely.
Our list of over a year, of all the repairs and rennovations, is slowly dwindling,and it's starting to feel manageable.
This week I want to spend as much time as I can outside to get caught up on the weeding, edging flower beds, mulching, mowing, and hopefully planting.
Let's just hope this crazy heat wave will come to an end and normal temperatures will return.
What are you doing to enjoy the spring weather?

10 Comments:

At April 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Debbie in CA : ) said...

On the warm days I'm in my gardens. On the rainy days I am in my kitchen. On the lucky days I am in my favorite chair with a book. I guess I can find something to enjoy in just about every day. : D

 
At April 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM , Blogger Ralph said...

Wow!!! You guys have been busy! Are you happy with the results?

 
At April 27, 2009 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Sam said...

So many projects! You're so busy. They all sound very exciting though. It feels good to get those things accomplished.

I'm learning how to garden this spring. I've lived in cities for many years and this is the first year I've had a yard. It's fun, but I have so much to learn. I really enjoy it though!

We've been having a terrible heatwave! I've just been trying to keep myself and the baby cool. Makes me dread summer! :-)

 
At April 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Gosh, I bet you have lost weight!!!

That is a beautiful picture...I sure hope and pray that you guys don't have to sell and move...your home is lovely and your doing so much work to not be able to live in and enjoy it.

I enlarged the picture and the scenery is breathtaking!

Hope all is well

So good to hear from you

Love, Jess

 
At April 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Nan said...

I am so, so impressed. Are you able to do all this because your husband is home? I clicked on the picture to see it better, and I just love that curve and the tree and plantings. And what a nice view.

 
At April 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Muhd Imran said...

That is one totally beautiful tree! An equally beautiful blooming pathway to your home.

Yet, I cannot help but to look at the view that you have up on that hill! Totally awesome.

I'd never move my home anywhere else... if I can afford such a home in the first place.

You are blessed with such a nice home and calming views!

 
At May 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim, the picture looks like a painting. You are putting me to shame. I think I have a lot going on and you have totally remade your home. I know it is lovely and you will enjoy.

 
At May 3, 2009 at 11:11 AM , Blogger anya said...

Good grief, Mim, this makes me just exhusted! You two are amazing. I'll bet it all looks wonderful.

 
At May 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM , Blogger judy in ky said...

I enjoy Spring by sitting on the swing on my back porch. When Summer comes, it will be too hot and humid to enjoy being outside.

 
At May 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

It's already hot here, Mim, and I have been up to my eyeballs in end of the year reports, banquets, etc. for volunteer work I do. I will start seeing daylight next week in terms of that, but I'm also helping a friend deal with the things she needs to do after her mother's death. So that's my plate right now.

Hope you are well. Sounds like you've gotten a lot done, and I wish I could say the same. LOL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home