Thursday, September 4, 2008

Late summer


Technically it isn't late summer for a few more weeks, but the light is changing through the trees, and the sun is setting earlier.
The morning breezes are much cooler, and the light for the sunrises is changing too.
But we are still enjoying late summer tomatoes, from the farm stand a few miles away.
And enjoying the last few peaches ripening on the counter, sliced, with some yogurt and oh so very sweet and good.
We are now entering my favorite time of year, the fall, with the cooler weather, and shorter days.
Food that evokes nesting inside like soups or stews, or apple cobbler.
It's a great transitioning time of year, and I feel rejuvenated.
How about you?

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At September 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

We are still experiencing very hot days in the area that I live. But can sense fall approaching. The cooler early mornings and my flowers beginning to fade. I want to tackle my rainy day and cool weather inside project.
I am ready for soup, chili and all the comfort foods that I think of when cooler weather arrives.
It will arrive quickly and then the holidays will be around the corner.

 
At September 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh your tomatoes are simply gorgeous. We had no garden this year ... I really miss those warm, ripe, globes of scarlet beauty (and yellows, too). Our weather continues to contain soaring temps, but the hint of fall and the turning of the calendar keep me hopeful that my favorite season is just around the corner. Apple crisp? CAN'T WAIT! Beef daube? You bet'cha! : )

 
At September 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Great picture of the tomatoes! We'll be feasting on farmstand goodies all week, I hope (if the hurricane doesn't close them all down on Saturday!)

Yum

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Ernestine,
Yes me too, love those comfort foods and a soup cooking away on the stove.
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Debbie,
Nothing sweeter than fresh homegrown tomatoes. Oh I long for them about February.
Tell me about beef daube?!
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Ralph,
Stay safe in Nags Head. Oh I hope your annual retreat isn't spoiled.
Will you stop at the farmstands along the way to Nags Head?
Delish!
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

It's 73, gusty and blustery, overcast and just a bit cool here today. Yep, Fall is in the air, even though part of the effect is because of the lingering hurricane remnants.

Fall and Winter are my favorite times of year, and I can't wait for hayrides, wienie roasts and chilly evenings.

And I have a bag of homegrown apples given to me by a neighbor waiting to be made into apple crisp and dried apples, maybe some pie filling.

Happy Thursday, enjoy your time with hubby. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Mim said...

HI Diane.
Yes cooler weather... and tell me about dried apples. Do you have a special method. That is something I dont' recall doing.
Would love to hear how you do it.
Yes time is flying by and he'll be gone soon for another month.
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM , Blogger judy in ky said...

Hi Mim,
After reading your comment I came over to check out your blog. I like your writing and your photos. I hope I can do as nice a job as you are doing.
Judy

 
At September 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Mim said...

HI Judy
You are doing great.. and navigating around to blogs and posting pictures.
It's a quick way to travel isn't it!
Nice to meet you.
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Onece again Mom told you all about Arkansas weather...so anyways I am at home resting after a busy morning. I am catching up with everyone.

Hope all is well with you!

 
At September 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Jess
Ok you two quit fighting over who can read blogs first or not! JK.

Hope you are relaxing and not too much cooking or chasing baby!
Mim

 
At September 4, 2008 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Hello, I wandered over from Homespun Living. I went to leave a comment on her post and there was my name. But it wasn't me after all it was you. You see, I am a "Mim" too!

 
At September 4, 2008 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Mim
At first I was confused... but I figured out I've finally found someone with my name.
How fun is this.
Thanks for introducing yourself.
Mim

 
At September 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Mim, thanks for stopping by to see me. I guess I do have a lot of energy, but I love to channel it into something productive.

Those tomatoes look yummy! We sure have enjoyed the ones I got from my parents garden.

 
At September 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Mim said...

Rhoda
Yes I enjoyed your post about all the goodies from your parent's garden in NC. We are just north in VA.
Mim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home