Monday, August 25, 2008

Reflecting and Wondering


The summer started with us thinking we'd be going back overseas for about a year.
Then plans were abruptly changed and my husband is doing a short term project in India over a 4 month period.
We started the summer wondering where we'd be living. Then we started readjusting our thinking and started planning and scheming about being here and continuing to work on our fixer upper(kind of) house.
We did outside work and landscaping and the heat of the first part of the summer overtook us at times.
Now as the days are shortening and the coolness of the fall is starting to seep into our days and nights, we are readjusting and planning and scheming again of projects around here.
Right now a builder is drawing up plans for our back porch, so that hopefully soon that building project can be started.
We decided to put off our window replacements until after the back porch is completed, in order to be more precise and careful and not have to redo anything.
So plans are cooking away, and we are reflecting over the summer months and wondering what the fall will bring.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At August 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Very exciting about the porch and smart about the windows--hope the ones you have now stand up OK to the wind that no doubt howls across those hills in the wintertime! Well, the former owners survived...you'll make it one more winter!

 
At August 25, 2008 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Mim said...

Ralph
That is so true and 3 three previous owners survived but surely noticed the wind seeping in. All the windows are trimed out in oak, but they are not too tight.
I will post before and after pics of the back deck as it is now and that will be torn down as there is a fallout shelter(cement cave) underneath.
Remember those fallout drills and days!
We are excited but know it will but much more$$$ than we ever anticipated when we bought this last year. Oh well.
The reason we are doing is more energy driven than for looks as the whole back of the house is on the west side and there are 3 massive picture windows and two sliders...so so hot in the summer. The 8' wide covered open porch will provide some heat relief, but not obstruct our views.

 
At August 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Debbie in CA : ) said...

Home improvement projects drain me so while the work is in progress, but the results delight me so. We are now able to dance on our new deck, but have no railings as of yet (so it must be slow dancing, I suppose). We added 4 feet to the depth -- WONDERFUL! New windows preceded this project as our former windows were "fogging" over. Now I can look out onto my gardens from every room AND go out on my deck for a cup of tea. It has been a long hot summer but I believe the Fall is coming early and I have many plans for deck dining (grab a sweater!) far into the next season. : ) I look forward to your pics of the new deck.

 
At August 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Hi Debbie
THanks for your encouraging words on our home improvement.
Do your home insurance codes dictate what kind of or what height your railings must be.
We want ours to look nice, but haven't yet decided on style of railings; but our home insurance says for sure railings, since this at the highest point is about 5 ft off the ground.
I don't like the mess of construction either..but it's part of it.
This involvs redoing the roofline to build the porch into the roof, so that will also involve redoing our whole roof.
Mim

 
At August 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Kat said...

Mim,
Last year was my home improvement year, and I lived with the smell of paint, the sounds of hammers and saws and dust everywhere. I was driven crazy, but the after was well worth the during.

I love porches and often wish I had one.

 
At August 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Mim said...

HI Kat
I checked out your pictures of your project.
When I found how long this porch will take, it involves the roof trusses and new roof, I did hesitate and wonder about not going ahead.
But our front has a porch and we want to do the same in the back.
So I don't like the mess and disruption and smells either, but I guess we will carry on.

 
At August 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Living in this apartment for 23 years I've never had to deal with remodeling or construction. I'd be willing to endure almost anything that resulted in a new porch! I miss having a porch so much...

One thing about it, this too shall pass and the ends is surely worth the means.

Have a great new week, Mim. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At August 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Diane
Thanks for your sweet words.
I'll make sure to get a picture of the finished porch, where I hope to be watching many many sunsets.
And yes the advantage of renting is you don't have to worry about any of this, nor pay for it!
Hope you are doing well.
Mim

 
At August 25, 2008 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Jess said...

You have alot going on girl!

I am catching up after a very busy time!

Have a good week

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home