Buying local peaches, corn, tomatoes and more
This is my kitchen table and it is pretty much the way it has looked the last several days.
I keep going to the local orchard and buying a half bushel of peaches, coming home, and making peach crisp, peach jam, freezing sliced peaches, keeping sliced peaches in the fridge and primarily allowing them to ripen on the counter.
Oh the sweet sweet smell of fresh peaches, grown locally, and ripening naturally under my fingers.
It's really a pleasure and delight of August. But the problem is I keep going back and getting another bushel or half bushel. And $15 a bushel is what I've been paying. Compare that to the several lbs of peaches you buy in the grocery. It's simply amazing.
Right now on my back deck I have a bushel of sweet corn waiting to be husked, blanched and frozen. I went with my dad early this morning, right after sunrise, and I bought the corn from the farmer who had just pulled it off the stalk. Amazing.
Soon it will be in my freezer.
I have a large bag of apples sitting in my garage waiting to be made into applesauce to go in the freezer.
I also have been buying my tomatoes down the road at a roadside stand of another local farmer. It's wonderful and intoxicating. I am not wanting this gardening weather to end, because then I know the taste of tomatoes fresh off of the vine, will only be a memory of summer.
It's wonderful to live close to people who garden and have orchards. I love it.

6 Comments:
I'm hungry!!!
Yummy for sure.. however don't step on the scales in August is what we say.
Plus every night my husband has to have his breyers vanilla with sliced peaches. he leaves soon for India so it's back to vegetarian food for him so he says he's stocking up. Funny except for the scales.
Mim
I try not to step on the scales anytime! Although I have lose 3 more pounds says the doctor! Yay... anyways the peaches look wonderful!
I'm trying really hard not to covet those peaches. I'm afraid I'm failing. Badly.
I LOVE fresh peaches, warm from the tree! Most of the time when we get them at the grocery store they're not fit to eat, but recently I got a few that were really good. I was pleasantly surprised.
Enjoy your fresh produce and your time with your hubby before he has to slog back to India.
Happy weekend! ;o)
Love and hugs,
Diane
Jess
Right, no weighing in August!
Mim
Diane,
Oh if you could smell them and taste them... so sorry you are so far away I'd bring you some.
They are the best warm and sweet, and I can peel them with my fingers, without a knife.
I just put 8 quarts, sliced in the freezer.
But a big tray is sitting on my counter ripening. they wil be ready to make pie, cobbler, or simply popped in the mouth after peeling.
Yes slog.. that is a good word and that is exactly how it feels to him.
But we have two days of lots of activities.
Mim
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home