Creatures in the neighborhood?
So I've talked about the wonderful views from my house and property.
Truth be told we don't have as many trees as we wish we did in the summer to help us in protecting our house from the sun.
But we've noticed this year a lot of squirrels running around. On our back porch, scampering many times a day across the front porch too.Are they looking for food or water or shelter?
So several days ago I went outside to go somewhere in my van. We keep it outside and don't put it in the garage. We keep our car in the garage and the garage is a double car garage but it's a tight squeeze for two cars.
So my van sits outside.
My van didn't start so I had AAA come and jump it. It didn't start. So they towed it to the garage where I get our cars inspected,etc.
Yesterday when they called from the garage that my van was ready, it turns out it was an electrical problem. A squirrel(rat?) had chewed the wires going to the starter.
The owner of the garage told me this is the third one she's fixed this week with the same diagnosis. To the tune of $210. To me this is bizarre, but then I don't know that much about car repairs, or about squirrels chewing wires on cars.
So that's my squirrel(or rat?) story of my poor little van.
And my poor little pocketbook on such a bizarre car problem.
Labels: house and home

8 Comments:
Or mouse. Or rat.....these little beasties will eat anything.
Hi Mim! I was scrolling through the responses on Ree's blog and noticed your "Killing Me Softly" and thought, "Yes, somebody else likes Roberta Flack!" My favorite love song is "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and I also love Killing Me Softly. Anyway, I came over here to read more about you and found out you have a 28 yr old and a 25 yr old. I'm 53 (will be 54 on the 19th) and we celebrated 34 yrs of (mostly) blissful marriage in May. Our son is 28 and our daughter is 25, so I figured we have a few things in common. I enjoyed reading your last few posts and I'll be coming back to see what you're up to. Interesting about your precious squirrels. Maybe you'll start parking in the garage now?
Ralph,
Yeah that's what my car lady said.. rats maybe. Ick.. I hope not I've never seen any on the property.. but who knows!
Mim
Hi Nikki,
Nice to meet you.
I'll go on over to your blog and see what's new with you.
Yes I love Roberta, and even saw her at musikfest in Bethlehem, Pa years ago!
It's Ree's blog a hoot.
Mim
Nikki
Me again... yes our daughter is 28 and lives in San Francisco, and our son is 25 and lives nearby. Married 37 years. I turn 58 tomorrow.Yeah. I made it this far.
Guess I have to clean out the junky side of the garage so I can park my van. Ralph said maybe rats or mice.. Ick I hate rats.
Mim
Hey, Mim... Not only do rats, mice and squirrels like to chew on wiring, they also like to chew on rubber hoses, like the ones from your windshield wiper fluid reservoir to the fluid nozzle by your wipers, insulation, gaskets, like around your windshields and doors, rubber bumper pads, bed liners.....the list is endless. They even chew on metal and things you'd never dream they could gnaw on!
And once they get started they tend to keep on until you remove access to the vehicle. Sorry to be the bearer of worse news....
On a cheerier note - Happy Weekend! ;o)
Love and hugs,
Diane
Diane
Wow this is all news to me. It wasn't til the garage lady told me she'd fixed 3 just this wk and it's common, had I ever heard of it. But I've never lived where I have so many squirrels.. let alone who knows if the rats or mice are running around. Someone gave me a spray they used on their car that farmers use with horses to keep the horses from chewing on their tails.. isn't that weird?
Any other ideas?
My son says he will come tomorrow and figure out where to spray this stuff, but the way you describe it would be all over the electrical wires throughout the engine. Help!
Mim
Pretty much any kind of wiring and all the other outside rubber, plastic, hoses, etc. Everything I already mentioned and anything else you see that looks like a rodent might chew on it.
And squirrels will chew into your attic and under your house if possible, and chew on the insulation on your wiring. You'd be surprised how many houses catch fire and burn down every year because of squirrels chewing on the wiring!
They also chew the insulation off pipes under the house, causing them to freeze in the winter time. Around here, anyway. That's more rats and mice than squirrels with the pipes.
Hope you don't have any more problems! I love squirrels but they sure can be destructive!
xoxoxo
Diane
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home