What is it really?
I often talk about the sunsets, or my flowers, or my family, but this topic is a little different.
I've been noticing something this past year we're are back in the states.
I don't recall I noticed it so much when we left for overseas in 2002, but it has really been staring me in the face.
When people identify themselves in tv, or newsprint, or blogs, or internet, or in letters or in person I often hear several identifying adjectives.
They will say: "I'm a conservative, I'm a liberal, I'm a right-wing evangelical Christian, I'm a Democrat, I'm a Republican....and on and on.
I think what sticks out the most to me when I hear "I'm a right-evangelical Christian", as if a more liberal or non evangelical approach in their religion doesn't make a Christian a Christian.
It's the labels I'm having a really really hard time with.
When did Americans become so polarized. When did we have to identify ourselves in such a dividing way?Do we only want to socialize with or be friends with those who think exactly like us? Do we feel so insecure we have to identify ourselves with labels?
As time goes by it feels more and more divisive to me.
Maybe it's because it's an election year and I've not been around in an election year since 2000.
It's feeling more and more alienating to me and I'd love to hear people's take on why we as a nation, people, religions, political parties feel we have to talk the person we are communicating with into our way of thinking?
What has happened to the melting pot we have always prided ourselves in being?
What about not always thinking our way is the only way?
I find it all shocking and surprising as to what has happened to the many peoples and groups who are yelling at us to change our way of thinking.
Labels: life

4 Comments:
It's funny, I have noticed how Americans do that and have always wondered why. Very few Aussies that I know would say stuff like that, and if they did, people would just look at them as if to say "Yeh, what do I care, why did you need to tell me that.?"
Hi Melanie.
Thanks for stopping by!
It's the truth isn't it?
Hard to get used to.
Mim
Mim, you were out of the country too long! This process has been going on probably since Ronald Reagan, who saw a vast untapped voter base in the Christian Right and encouraged them to become involved in politics. Up to then Evangelicals of that stripe had regarded politics as work of the devil, but when the Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons of the world got a taste of political influece and power, the worm turned. They moblilized their congregations and soon "social issues"--abortion, gay rights, and other (to them) "abominations" became currency in political discourse. Where it used to be that everyone's morality was his/her own business in a live-and-let-live way (the only way a pluralistic society like ours can survive) suddenly people started suspecting each other nif tehy didn't believe the same things in the same way they did.
This ties in with the identity politics which date back to the Civil Rights movement of the 60s. Minorities of all stripes took a page from the blacks and had their own liberation movements. We became Irish-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Italian -Americans liberal Americans, gay Americans, ad infinitum, each with our own list of grievances. In too many cases, our parochial causes overrode in our own minds the one cause that really matters: the greater good of the country.
There are many more opinions on this issue and entire library shelves have been written about it. But in my humble opinion, these are two of the root causes why we see the polarization we do today.
You pushed a button!
Another subject: can you email me so I can capture your email address? (This computer can't get it via your profile.) I have some pictures I want to show you.
Ralph
I appreciate your thoughts on this very volatile subject.
It's really amazing to me that this is what America has become. Diversity truly is not honoured anymore.
Disturbing.
Mim
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home