Thursday, August 7, 2008

Whatever happened to me




Yeah this is me.
And I am wondering whatever happened to me?
Well I mean the younger me.
I used to be quite project oriented.
Meaning gardening profusely,landscaping, mowing, refinishing furniture, quilting, needlework, decorating, painting, yardsaling,had a small antique and collectibles business,sewing and crafting things out of nothing.
This along with a 30yr. career in mental health, raising a family,entertaining, socializing, throwing any sort of party, having my husband's colleagues over for dinners,etc.,etc.
What got me thinking was my son's emailing me and asking me what I am in Myers-BriggsTI.
Well I emailed back that I used to be ENFJ but in the past years I've tested INFJ.Basically merging from an extrovert to an mild introvert.You can Google Myers- Briggs if you aren't familiar with it.

I was discussing this with another friend and we decided we like our cocooning and down time as we are aging some.
Not sure when it happened, or why, but I do know for sure I enjoy time alone to read, watch movies, nap or speculate on nothing in particular.
I am still interested in many of the above mentioned domestic skills. I do cook a lot. I do not entertain guests as much.
I am quite happy meeting someone for a cappuccino at a local coffee shop.
Or chatting by email or phone.
Don't know if any of you have experienced this, but for me I believe it happened somewhere along the time my kids left home for university and I realized that for 23years or more when I had kids in the house, my life was busy, full, exciting and crazy.
Now I can truly say I am enjoying time to just be.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At August 7, 2008 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Nan said...

I was amazed to read your words, echoing my thoughts. While I didn't have an outside career or do a lot of the other things you did, still it was busy and full when the kids lived at home. I think back and wonder how I did it!

 
At August 7, 2008 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Mim, I swear you look familiar, like somebody I went to high school with. I know that's not possible, but you sure look like somebody I used to know, and had a lot of laughs with!

I'm an ISTJ on the MBTI every time I take it. The first time I took the test, I was "borderline" I and E, and I contested the score to the trainer. She asked me, "do you think before you talk, or talk before you think?" I replied the former without even thinking about it, and she said, "you're and I." The trait has only gotten stronger over the years, and I, like y9u, am perfedtly happy with it. Transitioning from E to I may just mean you've learned to look before you leap a little bit as life has taught you its lessons. If that's what's happened, that's not a bad thing.....

 
At August 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Nan,
Good to hear from you. It's amazing I wonder the same thing: how did I do it.
I think I am making up for lost 'down' time and it's just wonderful.
Mim

 
At August 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Ralph,
That's funny.. I think a lot of people think I look like someone they know or used to know.
People wave to me all the time...
or in the stores or streets, people say 'hi' and they realize I'm not who they think I am .
I love that.
Maybe we knew each other in another life as I, of all the places I have lived, have never had the priviledge of living in NVA.
I do love to laugh and have fun.
Well you are an "I". It's a marvelous trait.
I think you summed it up..looking before I leap. I'd like to call it wisdom, or maturity! or just plain coming in to who I was all along.
Have enjoyed your cat and dog stories.
Mim

 
At August 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

You hit the nail on the head! I used to be much more extroverted, and I find the older I get, the more content I am to either stay at home or get together with one good friend, parties - not so much. Love the clarifying here. Thanks for stopping over today to visit my blog, via my sister Barb.

 
At August 7, 2008 at 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! When my first child left for college I thought I'd never survive. Now that all of them are out of the house I miss them like crazy and enjoy it tremendously when they're home but, I'm also okay with them leaving again. I'm enjoying time doing what I want to do. I'm learning so much about myself!

 
At August 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Kat said...

Mim,
I too am INFJ, and like you, prefer to cocoon more as I've gotten older. This has been a week filled with all sorts of activities with more to come, and I'm complaining. I want to sit on my deck and read.

When I worked, I didn't stop until bed. Now I know that stopping gives me a chance to see the world, and I'm liking it.

 
At August 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Bev
Yes parties not so much anymore.
By the looks of things you are keeping really busy just being at home and doing all you need to get ready for your big move.
Have a great time house hunting.
It was fun to find you through your sister's blog.
Mim

 
At August 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Deb,
It is hard when the first one leaves.. and then the last one.. since I only have two didn't have those middle ones like you do.
Didn't you do a rennovation somewhere in there too?
I'll have to look and see if you ever left pictures.
Mim

 
At August 7, 2008 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Kat
I know isn't that amazing, when there are projects going on around here, like furnace installations, or other household repairs, it feels very invasive. And I see you've been doing that a good bit too.
Like you I would literally never have trouble falling asleep as I went at a strong steady pace all day til bedtime.
Now that I'm retired I just don't have to push myself. Took some getting used to but it keeps getting better and better.
Mim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home