Saturday, November 28, 2009

Yes it's that time of year



Yes it's that time of year! Hooray for wood for the fireplace. Our newly installed pellet stove is down in the pool room, and is secondary heat to the oil furnace. However, I love to sit in the living room with a fire burning in the fireplace and watch the lights of the city come on around 5 p.m.
It's a sparkly wintry kind of thing to do. With a freshly brewed cup of coffee too I might add.
The sunsets viewed from the west side of the house come so early, now that we've had the time change, so after the sunset I move to the living room and watch the city lights on the eastern side of this ridge.
Our new windows, all 22 of them installed in Sept, are keeping us toasty warm, as well as the two sliding doors we replaced early in the summer.
The first winter in the three we've been in this house, that I think the heat won't be going out the windows and doors!
It's fall, beginning to feel like winter,
Today was a baking marathon, two apple pies, a pumpkin pie, banana bars with cream cheese frosting, and a double batch of chocolate chip oatmeal walnut cookies.
All made for the hunters on my husband's side of the family, for the yearly hunting excursion.
So the bake shop is closed tonight, and time to watch the fire burning.
Stay warm out there, wherever you are.

5 Comments:

At November 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Muhd Imran said...

I can smell the coffee from here and feel the mood as it get dark there... the city lights turning on and the relaxed atmosphere at home... a very beautiful home I might add. A blessing.

 
At November 29, 2009 at 1:53 AM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sounds marvelous, Mim. Enjoy the fruits of your labors, both the house and the baking. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At November 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Sounds idyllic, Mim. My day will come!

 
At November 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM , Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim, everything at your home sounds great.
I miss a real fireplae or woodstove.
I have had them in the past but with this smaller home, alone and aging - thought it would be a good idea not to have a woodstove.
But sure miss it and have an abundance of wood that I could burn.
Your deserts sound great.

 
At November 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hey, Mim! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Sounds like you have a lot for which to give thanks with that many new, tight-fitting windows! YEA! I know about drafty houses because we've lived in them forever. LOL!

Your baking sounds divine, and your fire sounds toasty. Stay warm this winter. We're even a bit chilly here these days.

XO,

Sheila :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home