Catmint- a perfect perennial
Here is a shot of catmint(Nepeta) on my back hill. This perennial works on my hilly back slope. I've also used it out front around the mailbox and in the sloping ditch on my front yard, to prevent having to mow that terrain.
It blooms first in late April, or early May and just keeps on providing new growth for new purple/bluish blooms.
So many of my neighbors have stopped by to ask if it is sage, and then I tell them where I purchased it and off they go to get some of their own.
It is that kind of beautiful, and very forgiving perennial that needs little work.
It does get big and bushy and if there is a lot of rain, the center will somewhat smash flat, but new growth hides that. It works great instead of mulching and I enjoy it so much.
I first used this 20 some years ago, at our home in PA and am enjoying developing my perennials flower beds here and using catmint is helping on this property with the very steep and hilly backyard.
We will soon be heading into the hot dry days of summer, and so I am working as hard as I can on my outdoor plantings and shrubs, preparing myself for the soon to come days where air conditioning will feel like welcome relief after being outside gardening.
Hope the weather whereever you are is treating you and your gardens well too.

6 Comments:
I've always thought of it as the 'poor relation' of catnip, but you are convincing me to take a second look. They can be equally good plants! Do you have cats and offer them catmint? Do they like it? Have they tried catnip? Yours is just so beautiful!
This plant gives brilliant display of purple and blue. Awesome.
Wish I had a front and back yard... a hill even! I have what little front concrete corridor I called my garden.
You are blessed to be able to own and actually appreciate such God-given beauty... all in your own sanctuary.
Have more beautiful blooms and gardening days!
Hi, Mim... I'm out and about today and thought I would visit you. So tlad I did as that is gorgeous! Our gardens are already feeling the heat and lack of rain. Wish the vines would. ;-)
I love your yard. You always have something pretty blooming. Hope all is well with you in Virginia.
Sending love your way...
XO,
Sheila
wow, my cats would be in kitty heaven...lol
Hope all is well with you
Lots and lots of love to you
Jess
Hi Mim, just catching up now that I'm back from the African safari trip! Wow what an amazing time I had.....hope you can stop by to view my pics of the animals and great places we stayed. This was definitely the most awesome trip of my life!
Love Nepeta and yours looks very healthy. Do you deadhead the spikes? My garden has required a lot of attention since my return - apparently it rained almost daily for the 2-1/2 weeks I was in Africa so grew like a jungle. Now, after all those back breaking hours in the heat, it's looking really good. A garden is never finished though, is it?
Have a wonderful weekend dear.
Mary - A Breath of Fresh Air
Mim, I appreciate your comment regarding the children and the village in Africa. It was a very emotional, eye-opening time and I wish so much the Zambian government was doing so much more to help the people. Their future is precarious to say the least - and of course all the other African countries seem to still be struggling also. Those little children appeared to be happy - guess it's the same old story, "you don't miss what you don't have". But, my goodness, they have hardly anything now. Their futures look grim with so little education or the opportunity to make a decent living. We are so blessed here - our children/grandchildren need to spend a day in a village such as that - perhaps it would wake them up and make them more caring and sharing people!
Sorry, once I'm on my soapbox I find it hard to step down!
Warm hugs - Mary
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home