Thursday, May 29, 2008

Steamer chairs



Love my teak steamer chairs, but after spending a large part of one afternoon power washing all of my outdoor teak furniture, I am not sure if I love them as much as I thought.
Next step is applying teak oil, to bring back the natural teak color.
I am wondering if this is something I want to do every spring.
Maybe the natural greying of the teak is a look I can adjust to.
Let's see how they do this summer in the heat.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Congrats. on your anniversary Mim - the years really fly by don't they?

Teak is lovely (I couldn't afford the set I coveted at Smith & Hawken so ended up with metal from Home Depot - it's just OK). But Tues. we decided that we just had to use a special oil on the hardwood deck (the wood is Ipe) as it was greying out so much after two years. I had my painter brush it on - he's here doing the gazebo etc. - and it looks somewhat better although not the gorgeous reddish tones it was when new. I shall oil it again in a couple of months and see if we can bring it back even more. It's hard to decide about your furniture - many people do let it grey but I have to admit it looks beautiful and feels so smooth when oiled.

Let's face it - outdoor stuff never looks great after the first season - guess we have to enjoy it and think of it as shabby and chic!
I'm not even getting into cushions - whoa, what a price they are now and once they've been outside a week they look awful if you have birds, squirrels and trees as we do!

 
At May 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

The appearance wouldn't bother me so much as wondering if the oil keeps the wood from decaying. I don't know if the oil is strictly for cosmetic reasons or if it keeps the wood conditioned and makes it last longer.

Just my 2 cents....

Hugs,

Diane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home