Lots to do
Yesterday was a day of getting things done.
I think that is because I feel under a time crunch.
My husband is a handyman of sorts when it comes to small scale construction, plumbing, repairs, or outside cutting trees and and anything needs to be done he can do it better than hiring someone.
Knowing he won't be around for a few months we've both kicked our 'to do' list into gear.
Unfortunately I am the one with the ideas but he does the work. Good for me, not so much for him.
We were in the process of getting quotes for getting windows replaced. We found some really good ones, with really high prices, and some mediocre ones with an ok price.
But I've talked about the wind where we live and we feel it is better to go with vinyl clad wood than with just all vinyl. I don't really want squeaky windows.
Plus I'd much rather not have to put in replacement windows. Much more fun to put the money where it seems more visible than for energy reasons, but it has to be done.
So we need to get more people in here and finish the estimates.
We also finished pulling this horrible awful ugly outdoor carpet that one previous owner had glued on all the outdoor concrete patios and there are four of them.
Entrances or patios that is.
That job is now complete, but what lies underneath isn't smooth nor is it pretty.
So we decided we will most likely put slate on all of the concrete surfaces, or another kind of tile that would hold up to cold weather. Or paint the concrete. Not sure on that yet.
Then because the whole west side of the house is sliding patio doors or picture windows(built in 1968) for those of you who don't know what picture windows are.. and they are big, the house gets very hot in the summer.
So I have a neighbor/builder/designer coming next week to draw a plan and give me and estimate for an open back porch to match our front open porch.
Then there are the much smaller things.
Like painting rooms, and working on storage in the basement.Refinishing a couple of pieces of furniture, painting some furniture.
Continuing my outside landscaping.
Putting up birdhouses and outside decorations that have been packed away for far too long.
Anyway I got off track here.
Did the usual household work and laundry, cleaning outside porches, and small amounts of weeding.
Then off to dinner at a Vietnamese Restaurant we like.
Toda we have a lot more to do outside so we are beginning early and hopefully
will feel we are checking our list of to do's as we go.
And having a bit of fun.

8 Comments:
My, God, Mim, this sounds like our house! A project every minute. Believe me, I know the work involved, but it all sounds exciting. Especially love that open porch idea--looking out on the mountains, I presume? I guess you'll screen it to keep the bugs out...
Ralph
Hey thanks for more ideas.. sceen the porch..you know I think I like that idea.And the bugs,knats are crazy here. I assume inDC too.
I better pull out my pictures so when the builder comes we can figure that in too!
My weeding done for the a.m. and off to grocery and plant shop!
Yes always something to do.
How did I ever work!! don't you hate it when retired people say that
Ha.
Mim
It's true though, Mim. When I worked I seemed to needed to be organized to fit in all I had to do for home and work, but now I figure I have all day, every day which makes me loll a bit too long.
I wish you well on all those projects. I did a bit of a remodel last year so I understand.
Living in an apartment I don't have to worry about any kind of remodeling or upkeep, but sometimes I wish I had more freedom to change some things around here. It sure doesn't bother me when my landlord is the one out there mowing and weedeating when it's 100º though!
Hope you have a good weekend, with some restful times as well as productive times. :o)
Love and hugs,
Diane
Kat
And I sure do love to loll as well. I am late this spring/summer in doing all my chores, so I love the lounging and reading and computer and tv watching as well. Just seems it all caught up with me.
Mim
Diane,
Yes these are the days that I remember well the past 5 yrs living in apartment and watching the others doing the outside work and I miss that.
Enjoy your apartment living, but like you said I can imagine you sometime want to change things around more to your liking.
Hope you are feeling better and get your camera prob sorted out.
Mim
Mim, I think you have more than plenty on your plate, and you must have a wonderful husband to do all that stuff before he goes..and if you are anything like me..it takes time and planning to get things just the way you want them..I drive Jason crazy, bless his heart.
Hope your weekend is going good and that you do get all you want done and that you two spend so great quality time together before he has to go.
Jess
Thanks so much.
Have a good Sunday.
Mim
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home