Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summertime and the living is easy


Ahh...it's summertime and before the heat hits 95 or is it 100 today I need to go outside and water. In April and May we couldn't mow our lawn fast enough.
Now it's been several weeks and I see one of my hydrangea's isn't faring too well either.
I either water morning or evening, as the midday sun seems to soak up all of the water and moisture I've put down.
I remember from years back that about this time when it becomes dry and all that seems to grow is weeds, and the fun of planting and seeing new green growth outside is gone, that mid-July I ask myself why I like to garden.
It's those weeds, those crazy weeds that get to me.
So in an effort to get ahead of the weeds that are trying to take over , I am heading out shortly.
Then back inside to finish a project I started of refinishing a heart-pine cupboard which I am going to use as shelving in a guest room. The house we bought doesn't have a linen closet,and has poor storage in the bathrooms, so this will be my linen cupboard.
Anyway what kinds of things do you do to enjoy your hot summer days besides staying inside in the AC?
It is a grand and beautiful time of year.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 26, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Ralph said...

Mim, I, too was thinking about the heat this morning. We have two periods of doldrums around here, the winter, when it's too cold and wet to do anything outside, and the summer, when it's too hot. And in high summer I, too, wonder what's the point of gardening. You have to get outside early before the time you can stand it has passed.

 
At June 26, 2008 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Mim said...

Ralph,
you got it!
sometimes I think I make a better armchair gardener.. you know looking at all the delicious coffee table type gardening books that don't talk about the weeds or sweat or getting dirty...just show us the pretty stuff without the grunt work.
Ah well...we who love gardening are hooked.
I enjoyed your read about your wknd and showing us your outdoor living room.. now that is living!
And glad to read you may have a light out of Steve's work dilemna/tunnel! So you can build that dream house.
Mim

 
At June 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Well Mim I was staying pretty cool indoors until this week. I have let Emmy play in her wading pool a few times...and then yesterday we went to a nearby lake to swim and I got pretty burnt! (Lobster even!)
And I have told you before that I can't grow anything...I don't have even a green spot on my thumb!

 
At June 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Jess
That is funny..not a green spot on your thumb. That's ok cause it takes lots of water and work!
You have baby to tend to so that works.
Lobster sunburn..not so much fun.
Mim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home