Orchids, travel and adapting
Orchids were our flower of choice in Singapore. We grew them on our balcony, we bought them at the grocery store for our vase on our dining room table, we gave them as gifts. They abounded.
For the past 5 months we were anticipating a short term work related move back to Singapore, where once again orchids would proliferate around us.
Unfortunately that is not going to happen now.
Several weeks ago we learned the project we would be moving for wasn't going to happen.
Within the same week, however, we learned my husband has been assigned to another project, this time in south central India.
This is considered a business trip not a relocation, thus the spouse is not included in this trip.
That would be me.
So in a few weeks my husband will be departing for the new work assignment for a 4-5 month period.
This brings me to my point of adapting.
Hmmm...let me think about that for awhile.Adapting and adjusting take time and for each person it can be a different method to switch our mindset.
So that is what I am in the middle of.. switching my thinking and trying to figure out how to make this work for me.
Maybe it's time to remodel our kitchen, or put on our back porch,
or maybe I need to think about coming out of semi-retirement and get back to work.
I will keep you posted.
Labels: Family, house and home

6 Comments:
Goodness, that's a long overseas business trip/assignment for your dh - surely you will get to visit with him for a while!
Of course it will give you time to work on a favorite project - how about the screened gazebo you wanted? And don't forget, you can always come to tea and visit in mine - that would be fun!
Enjoy the weekend Mim.
You have quite the dilemma, Mim. On the one hand it would really be hard to relocate to the other side of the planet for just 4 or 5 months, but on the other, I know the separation will be hard (and the re-lo isn't an option, anyway). I guess one way to look at it is that you're lucky to have the means to dream of and then to implement your projects. They, plus maybe the part-time work you mention (and visits with Mary in NC!) might fill the void.
As to orchids--they are a hard nut to crack when it comes to keeping them alive at home, but I keep trying. I have a friend who has tremendous luck with truly gorgeous varieties, and she swears she "does nothing special," (the horticultural version of "this old thing?!"). I keep hoping I'll find the key--maybe its the cold in the house in the winter, or the bad sun exposure....they're pretty, of course, but also a challenge worth trying to rise to.
Mary
Thanks for your kind comment. Yes I have no trouble dreaming up projects to do around here. And a trip to NC sounds good... I am dreaming about all those antique treasure stores you shop at.
Stay cool this wknd.
Mim
Ralph,
I have had good luck with orchids, here and in SG. I love them so much. They do take awhile to rebloom.You are right'this old thing' comment cracked me up.
No I don't find them easy to grow..kinda tedious but for me worth it.
The 'trailing spouse' lingo kinda did me in for our expat posting. So this time I won't be trailing...haha to me.
Anyway I feel fortunate and yes glad I can dream and plan to do household 'n gardening projects.
Because my husband is so good with projects I think he is glad he will be getting a reprieve. Me I will just try to make the best of all this.
M.
Well I can definately see wher ethis is a dilemma for you... I would hate to have to live somewhere that wasn't my home for 4 or 5 months, but to have to stay home while my hubby went away that long.....well, that's a different story. And you HAVE to be a very strong woman...I admire that you two have that much trust and love. The orchids are gorgeous.
I would need something to keep my mind off things too.
Jess
Thanks for stopping by and for you kind words.
Mim
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home