Monday, May 19, 2008

Limbo

Many of us live in limbo or waiting and wondering; wondering where we will be living, wondering if we can afford to move, waiting until that promotion,working on a job change, wondering how it will all work out.
I think about this a lot: especially as a baby boomer more at the end of a career that at a beginning of one.
Money we thought could sustain us through and until a retirement and then boom something happens and our plans, dreams hopes are in question and we wonder.
Life is difficult and sometimes our plans don't work out. So many things have happened this year in the american financial scene to give me pause: the housing market, the oil crisis(?) and consequently gas prices for all of US, the job market, hopes of early retirement possibly gone,etc., rising wheat and grain prices and big increases in food costs.
Then there is the mother factor. As a parent of two twentysomethings, just starting out in their careers I see them struggling with decisions as well. Costs of masters degrees, and living costs, gas prices, wanting to purchase a home and trying to cobble together down payments. So not only am I wondering about our own retirement costs and options but natural maternal concern for what their life will be like.
Life goes on....
I try to temper all this with things that bring me pleasure: my gardening, reading, walking with my Cavalier, connecting with family and friends.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Ralph said...

Mim, I'm liking your posts. They're short and sweet and, I see here, sometimes give a little food for thought.

You know how we've been struggling in our house with those issues you mention. The main lesson I take awway is: never take anything for granted. There's always that unseen Mac truck. We have to plan, but we also have to be flexible. Thank God we don't have kids in the mix--but if we did, our entire lives and concerns would be different, anyway, I'm sure. For one thing, there's no spur to ambition than extra mouths to feed and brains to educate. We are spoiled in that we only need worry about ourselves. (But that's enough!)

 
At May 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Ralph
Thanks for your kind words.
I however don't see you, or any of my friends who don't have kids, as spoiled... I see it as life situations. Each has its own worries and concerns.
Yes trying to not take anything for granted...good words to remember. I am thankful both of my kids have their uni degrees and are trying to forge their own ways and wanting to support themselves. I know the economic climate right now makes that impossible for many in their generation

 
At May 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Hello Mim. How are you? Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Thought I would stop by and i really enjoyed reading your blog. SO nice to meet you and thank you for the kind words.

 
At May 20, 2008 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Mim said...

Hi Jess
Now that is one cute pic of you and the baby.
Thanks for stopping by.
Mim

 
At May 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi, Mim, and thanks for the kind words on my blog. Nice tameetcha! ;o)

I'm afraid we're facing some very hard times here in the USA, and the whole world in general. For anyone who's never had to make do and scrape by it's going to be even harder.

I enjoyed my visit here, and I'll be back. :o)

Have a great rest of your week!

Hugs,

Diane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home